Monday, February 20, 2006

Winter Olympics XX (Part 8)

You know you are an Olympic Junkie when you stay up late watching ice dancing, which, as near as I can tell, is pairs figure skating without all the athleticism. It reminds me of the flag team in high school, where all the cheerleading washouts wound up. (Apologies to those who are offended, but that's the way it was at my high school.) The dancers have all the footwork, but none of the jumping or overhead lifts. What they lack in athletic ability however, they make up for with sex appeal, and isn't that what makes an Olympic sport? (Can you sense the sarcasm?)

Anyway, I found tonight's competition rather interesting. Basically, it was foreplay on ice, which the American team of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto excelled at. I really hope they're married, for decency's sake. Seriously though, short of falling, the only way I can tell one program from another is by the color of the costumes. The subtleties are entirely lost on me.

Meanwhile, the rest of Team U.S.A. (Ha!) continues to pull down medals at a rate slightly faster than molasses in January, but just barely. I down't mean that to sound negative, but these guys were hyped like crazy, and they just aren't delivering.