Sunday, February 26, 2006

Winter Olympics XX (Part 12)

Okay, the fever is breaking. For now, but like malaria, I'm sure it will return in two more years. I'm a junkie, that's when I get my next fix. Mmm... Beijing 2008... Who would think that I'd ever want to go to China? I mean, no offense to the Chinese, who seem to be wonderful people, but I just have never had any desire whatsoever to visit there. Maybe its because I don't like large cities, and I know that China is full of them. Maybe its because I like places where I have a reasonable chance of understanding the language. I don't know, but whatever the reason, the Olympics trump all. Period.

Tonight is the closing ceremony. I won't watch. I can't stand the idea of the games coming to an end. How bad am I? I am actually looking foreward to the men's 50k Cross-Country race this afternoon.

And, by the way, "Apolo Anton Ohno rox my face off." That's what one of our students (Noelle Ott) wrote on the rear window of my 4-Runner last week, and although it was funny at the time, its true now. Ohno understands the spirit of the games, and truly was a good teammate. His comments after the men's 500m short-track speed skate and the 5000m relay were entirely team oriented. It was beautiful. He made clear that to him any medal counts and to win with a team was truly special (actually, the team got bronze, but that's beside the point.) If I had to single out an athlete to represent American ideals, Ohno would be the one. I'm sure there are others who could do as well, but Ohno did a great job. He was gracious in victory, selfless in competition, and supportive of the team. Great job.

Citius, altius, fortius.