Monday, February 13, 2006

Winter Olympics XX (Part 2)

Yes, the Olympics are going on as we speak, and deep in my heart there is a pain because I am not there to attend every event. I am an Olympic junkie. If I could watch evey minute of coverage on all the networks, I would. I would have to quit my job, but its almost worth it.

How bad is my O-fever? There are times in my life when I fervently wish I'd been born on some obscure South Pacific island nation so I could found a Luge or Skeleton Federation and attend 7 or 8 Olympiads as an athlete. Aahhhh... Olympics... Beautiful...

If I was wealthy enough I could retire and train tirelessly to be on the curling team. Yes, curling. It may not be glamourous, but you stay in the village and compete 'til you die of old age. I wouldn't need a medal, just the opportunity to compete, to hang out in that environment and meet all those people. It would be amazing.

Alas, I am now too old and poor and American to be an Olympic athlete, but I can still dream. Maybe one day I'll get to at least go as a fan. There is, perhaps, solace in that.