Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Devotional III

Ephesians 5:3
“But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among the saints.”

Have you ever wondered why sexual purity is such a big deal with God? I mean, if the only answer we can give as to why we think sexual activity should be saved for marriage is that “God said so,” isn’t that a cop out? Seriously. I know that when I tell my kids they should or shouldn’t do something, “Because I Said So!” I feel like a fraud. If they don’t understand why I give them instructions, they ultimately miss the point.

What makes this verse different though is that it does tell us why. Why should we keep our cool before we’re married? Because we’re saints. And being a saint means keeping true to our nature, not our old sinful nature, but our new nature, the one we received when we accepted Jesus as our Lord, our master. Being a saint isn’t something you do or don’t do, it’s who you are! In Christ, you are pure, clean, righteous, holy, ROYALTY even! Sexual immorality? You’re better than that. Impurity? That’s behind you, beneath you. In Christ, you are pure, a child of the King. It’s who you are. Remember that, always.