Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter 2006

Our home church, Forest Park Baptist Church, does a passion play every year at Easter. Its very good. I mean, seriously, good. And, as I watched Jesus getting nailed to the cross tonight, it occurred to me that I don't really ever care to see that again. It hurts. Emotionally, it is painful and inflammatory. As I watched it I was overwhelmed with the thought, not that He suffered that for me, but that I am not worthy of His sacrifice. So I prayed. I prayed that next time, I get the cross. The idea that I might be the recipient of that amazing grace is just so powerfully overwhelming that I can't imagine standing there and not screaming out, "TAKE ME INSTEAD!" The whole thing seems silly now, but the truth is that I love Jesus, and if it took my death on the cross to keep Him off the cross, I think I'd do it. I know, I know. It doesn't actually work that way, but you get the point. I'm not worthy. None of us are. And yet He came and suffered and died on our behalf. Holy Lord, that's AMAZING! Too amazing to accept, almost. Almost, but not quite. So I'll take the offer of free salvation, and I'll rejoice that I get to live in heaven forever, and I'll give every day of my life in ransom to the Master who bought my freedom. I am a slave to righteousness, slave to Jesus Christ, and praise God for that.