Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Daily Grind

This just might have been the single most stressful week of my professional life. The Baptist Student Union sent three teams of students (24 people) to various parts of the country on Spring Break mission trips. The teams went to Roxborough, Colorado, Arlinton, Texas, and New Orleans, Louisiana. They will be church planting, working with underprivileged children and assisting FEMA with disaster relief efforts. Getting those trips together was brutal. By my count it was a 63 hour week, not counting the on-call hours I now have as I wait for the teams to return. That might be okay if you're a lawyer trying to make partner, but not for me. I need a vacation!

Seriously though, one of the most difficult tasks I have in life right now is trying to stike that delicate balance between family and work. It is the Gordian Knot of the young family professional, the struggle all 30-somethings with kids have to face daily. On the one hand, I'd like to just stay home every day and raise my kids right. Being a good father is VITAL to me. As one man put it, "The most important thing most Christians will ever do is raise their children properly." I take those words as truth. They may not be written in the Bible, but they are certainly implied in scripture...

On the other hand, as a minister, is there anything more important than changing lives for Jesus Christ? Can I do anything more rewarding, more satisfying, more significant- in this life, or the next- than do everything in my power to change heaven and earth one soul at a time? I love me job, and I love my family, and at this stage of life, I cannot hardly do justice to both. They are both valuable, both worthy of my time, both demanding and fulfilling, yet there is only one of me.

What's a man to do?

Age, I guess.