Friday, June 17, 2005

IU to MSSU transition letter

The following is a close copy of the email sent out to students informing them of our decision to move from IU to MSSU. It greives me to have sent it, although I know the Lord is at work...

College is a great time of life, and just when you get used to it, it ends. At least that's the way it was for me. After more than 5.5 years (yeah, I slacked more than a bit) I was forced out of the warm confines of academia into the harsh reality of the post-college world. Although I had a plan, I wasn't sure where I was going or what I was doing. Where would I live? How would I feed myself? Where would I be in five years? Ten? Twenty? Like any intelligent human being faced with that kind of uncertaintly I did the most logical thing I could... EUROPEAN VACATION!!! Actually, it was a mission trip, but it served the purpose.

As it turned out for me, I was actually moving on from college to meet the love of my life, Amanda Trask (now my wife of 8 years, Mandi Smith). We began to fall in love in Romania and life has only gotten better since. Life after college, it seems, isn't so terrible after all. My point is, everyone moves on. From high school to college, from college to career, from single to married to parent; transitions are myriad, and usually they're good even if they are kinda scary at the moment.

And transition is come upon me again. After praying and seeking wise counsel and searching our souls, Mandi and I have decided that I should accept a position as the Baptist Collegiate Minister at Missouri Southern State University (MSSU). We are leaving Christian Challenge, IU and Bloomington, on July 14th.

The decision has been difficult. We like it here. You all are just AWESOME! The campus, the city, the people, the work that is not done, all weigh on our hearts. Still, MSSU is just 30 minutes down the road from Mandi's family in Oklahoma, and with three small children at home we have to consider their needs as well.

A very Godly man once told me, "The most important thing most people will ever do is raise their children." He was right. Read Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and tell me otherwise... The most important thing most of you will ever do is raise your children. That begins by choosing wisely whom you will marry. It continues as you consider what to name them. The name you give your child is the first gift they will receive from you. Consider it carefully. Then there are their physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs as well; needs that change as they grow. For Mandi and I, that made the difference.

Thank you for your prayers. We pray for you. Pray now for the right person to come in to this ministry to expand the Kingdom of God and His glory in B-Town.

Until July 14th you can reach us at the usual contact points.

May the Grace of God dwell in you richly,

Jon