Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day


Thanksgiving.


An orgy of football and family and food. Today, like most years, we celebrated at the home of Jay and Rex Ann Dareing (Mandi’s mom’s parents). Altogether there were forty-one of us there. Smiths and Trasks and Douthits and Dareings among several more. Forty-one. Everybody. At least, everybody on Mandi’s side of the family tree. Everybody within a hundred miles anyway. The youngest was… well, LeeAnn Wilson is still pregnant with that one. And the oldest would be Jay Dareing, nearly eighty. As usual, before we ate Jay addressed the family in the kitchen, then called upon me to ask the blessing. There are two deacons, a pastor and a director of missions—all ordained—in the family, and every man there has been a Christian for years, and yet it seems like I am always the one who says the blessing. I mean, I’m sure it’s just a misperception on my part, but I’m telling you, Jay calls on me more than any three others put together. Why?! Not that I mind, I just feel a little odd being singled out all the time from among so many who are at least equally qualified. Isn’t it amazing how significant a little thing like a dinner prayer can seem?


After gorging on turkey, ham, mashed potatoes with gravy, cranberry jelly, homemade rolls, green beans, corn, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs, etc., etc., etc., I was too full to head to the dessert table, choosing instead to veg-out on the couch while I tried not to explode. Note to self: sweats were a good choice. The elastic waist band really helps when you’ve chosen gluttony over common sense. Anyway, sans dessert, I cleaned two plates of food and spent the next four hours on the couch watching football. Dallas beat the Jets, and Green Bay beat the Lions. The Colts won today as well, but that one was on the NFL Network, which no one I know has in their cable package. I guess it only comes with the premium premium package. Numbskulls. I wish they’d just drop it completely and leave Thanksgiving to Dallas and Detroit.


ANYWAY…


The kids had a good time. Nate had a great time wrestling with the other boys (Isaac and Kyle). He said its funner than wrestling Daddy because they’re the same size he is. Honestly, I’m not sure what the girls did, they stayed in the kitchen most of the time.


We went home early. Before dinner. Mandi and I are recovering from colds and Alyssa and Anna are just coming down with it. All in all it was a great day. Tomorrow, we shop. Not sure how I feel about that yet. Thanks, God, for giving our family such a wonderful experience… again.