Thursday, May 15, 2008

Devo?

So, I'm reading through the Bible in a year, using the Chronological Bible (NLT) by Tyndale Press, and, yes, I'm a week behind. However, I noticed something interesting in my reading this morning. King David, at the end of his life, in his final instructions to his son Solomon who has already been named king and is sitting on the throne in Jerusalem, basically sets up two final "acts of justice." He tells Solomon to arrange the deaths of Joab and Shimea, both of whom deserved death much earlier, but received mercy from David to this point. What I found interesting was that in Psalm 4:4 David writes, "Don't sin by letting anger control you. Think about it overnight and remain silent. (The Chronological Bible lists most of David's psalms right after he dies, not knowing exactly when they were composed.) Anyway, I found it very interesting that David followed his own advice to keep silent, but I have to wonder if he let his anger control him. I mean, certainly, in the heat of the moment he was careful not to let his anger get the better of him (although lust is another story), BUT the fact that he his last words to his son include instructions to kill his former enemies leaves one guessing about his ability to let go of that anger. I look forward to getting back to the study and digging into this intriguing aspect of his character...