Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cancer Sucks

So today I found out that my mother has breast cancer. We don't know exactly what that means yet, but everyone is trying to stay positive because it was caught very early. Inside, however, it is as if a sledgehammer just collide with my soul. I can't really even talk about it without choking up. Mandi asked me when I got home from work if I was doing okay. I told her that other than swallowing hard to avoid crying every thirty seconds, I'm fine. Yeah, it's scary. I mean, she's my mother. I love her as much as I love anyone. The idea that I might lose her to cancer is a crushing weight.

Still, there is hope. When I first heard the news I was reading my Bible. The next verse I read after the call: 1 Samuel 2:9, which starts out, "He will protect his godly ones..." It was as if the hammer of God had struck back. I nearly wept on the spot. What does it mean? Perhaps nothing. Perhaps everything. But I have a hard time considering it a coincidence. The more time I spend with the Lord, the more such coincidences line up.

If you happen to think of it, I'd appreciate it if you'd say a prayer for Jacquelyn Smith, one of His godly ones...