Sunday, December 02, 2007

NCAA football: a sport without a champion II

So the BCS pairings came out today, and as expected, chaos and nonsense ruled the day. BCS. I think the 'B' stands for Bad, and the 'C' stands for Call, but I'm not sure what the 'S' is for. I can think of several vulgarities that might fit, but nothing I'd care for my children to read. 11-2 LSU in the title game? Over 10-2 USC? 11-2 Oklahoma? 11-2 Virginia Tech? 10-2 West Virginia? 12-0 Hawaii? (All five of whom won their conferences.) What about 11-1 Kansas? Is it a bad call to have LSU in the title game? Maybe. Maybe not. The point is we don't know!!! At least five teams have a legitimate beef for not being included. Wouldn't it be nice if NCAA Bowl Series football conformed to the rules that regulate every single other NCAA sport, wherein participating athletes know who the champion is because they play for a title within an NCAA sanctioned playoff format? I hope Hawaii kicks the pooh out of Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, thus ending their unblemished seasoned with a real nice trophy and a legitimate argument that they are the 'real' champions. I mean, who can argue? They would be 13-0 with a win over a top five BCS team in a major bowl.

And while I'm ranting, kudos to the Associated Press for having the wherewithal to stay above the BCS joke, er, system by not allowing their own poll to be used in it. BTW, six different teams received No. 1 consideration in the AP poll this week. Ha!

Peace out.