Thursday, March 22, 2007

Recent God Story II

So yesterday I came to work and found the place trashed. There was junk left everywhere, seriously, it was ugly. And I was so frustrated that for the first time in eight years of ministry, I contemplated quitting. "Is this worth it?" is the question that wafted through my mind. And as I pondered the answer to that question, I cleaned. I cleaned and I sweated. And at the ebb tide of my pity party I was taking the trash out to the dumpster behind our building when I noticed an unopened can of beer just laying there on the grass...

It was as if God Himself placed it there to catch my eye; my own personal burning bush. Only this bush didn't speak out loud, it slapped my upside my metaphorical head. And it shouted, "YO IDIOT! PUT UP OR SHUT UP!" Truly, it was theater of the absurd. I mean, of all the times I taken out the trash, what a perfect--dare I say 'divine'--moment to find a beer! So I picked it up and now it lives in my office, there to remind me that in what I thought was my hour of greatest need, the Lord was laughing.

Did I need a drink? Obviously not, although I wouldv'e told you it was tempting. Did I need a laugh, a slap back to reality? Sure thing, and God delivered.

THE PUBLISHING OF THIS ARTICLE IS IN NO WAY AN ENDORSEMENT OF DRINKING ANY KIND OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE. THE BEER IN QUESTION SITS UNOPENED TO THIS VERY DAY AND MAY BE VIEWED UPON REQUEST. IT IS A KEYSTONE ICE, SLIGHTLY DENTED, WITH A FRESHNESS DATE OF JUNE 7, 2007.